Boring Art, Boring Life: Thrift Store Mania.... Pushing Back to the Future                                                  

Thrift Store Mania.... Pushing Back to the Future

    

I don't profess to have a great love of thrift stores. When I thinknof them my nose twinges. Not in disdain but in the remembering of the musty smell that only old forgotten clothing and harsh detergents can produce.

I love scouring the shops for camera gear. As a photo teacher I have a need or literally as many cameras as possible. Inhale probably 30 and recently purchased two more for the class.


It seems as though there is an endless need for equipment. I also make myself broke by buying it myself. Fortunately, these two beauties were only about 100 together.

Today my goal was to hit up as many thrift stores as possible. My town has quite a few, so it will take me several hours. After stopping at 8 thrift stores I managed to track down a few different props that will be useful in some of my recreations. Tomorrow I am heading to Victoria and I'll check out several stores there.



 It seems as though there is an endless need for equipment. I also make myself broke by buying it myself. Fortunately, these two beauties were only about 100 together.

Today my goal was to hit up as many thrift stores as possible. My town has quite a few, so it will take me several hours. After stopping at 8 thrift stores I managed to track down a few different props that will be useful in some of my recreations. Tomorrow I am heading to Victoria and I'll check out several stores there.

I still need the following items:
I think the magic of this project is in its self deprecation. I look back at these pictures and can't help but be embarrassed. My students don't think that I should be embarrassed, they seem to think the photographs are fine. In truth, they are no more horrible than the grad photographs of most individuals. It is the act of sharing these images with the students that puts me into a vulnerable state.


As a student I had a preconceived notion of what a teacher or professor may have been like in their youth, but it only existed in my head.  As a teacher, I observe these notions. As I show the images to my students, that boundary is changed. The facade of the teaching professional starts to get cracks in it. For better or for worse, I am showing the students that I participate in the subject I teach. I don't do it as a job to earn money but because I enjoy the creativity that my profession allows.



Labels: , ,